Subject: solution to panic:can't mount root
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Karl Stenerud <mock@res.com>
List: amiga
Date: 12/06/1995 11:34:53
Some people have asked me how I got around the "panic: can't mount root" problem
in the NetBSD 1.1 install.

I had the same problem as well.  But it turns out that it had something to do with
xstreamtodev.

xstreamtodev does not seem to have any error messages.  So i you try to do:

	xstreamtodev --input=inst-11.fs --rdb-name=swap

it should respond by asking you i you want to proceed.  If it doesn't, there was an
error. My errors were as follows:

1. I forgot to gunzip inst-11.fs.gz
2. I was referring to the wrong directory for inst-11.fs
3. I mistyped the name because my *%&^& "f" key doesn't work properly!

And of course xstreamtodev didn't say a word.

So then of course netbsd would not be able to find the fake "root" on my swap drive.