Subject: Re: None
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 12/04/1995 10:38:58
dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca wrote:
: >>>>> "is" == is  <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE> writes:
:
: [about running SunOS binaries deleted]
:
: is> It means you can run Sun3 binaries for SunOS on it. You know, Sun
: is> Microsystems used to produce M68k (and before that, even i386)
: is> machines in old times.
:
: Actually, the timeline for Sun was: Sun1 and Sun2 (68000) then Sun3
: (68020 and a few 030).  Then Sun made some i386 boxes.  Then Sun4
: (sparc).

Ok ok... I wasn't a SUN man that early, so I got it the wrong way round.
Thanks to Dave and Geert for correcting me.

Minor additions: sun3 machines with a 030 had to fight the 030's MMU
somehow... sun wanted to partially continue to use their own external MMU,
so that they wouldn't have to change all device drivers.

But they had to, or simply changed, their internal kernel structure
enough that the famouns "dp" (dialup ppp) package never run on these
"sun3x" machines, at least not the 2.x versions.

ok, we should take this to alt.folklore.computers.

Regards,
	Ignatios