Subject: re: Installing and getting X11 to run
To: Hume Smith <hclsmith@ra.isisnet.com>
From: Steve Paul <xeglon@shell.portal.com>
List: amiga
Date: 11/24/1995 11:38:40
On Thu, 23 Nov 1995, Hume Smith wrote:

> > One last general question:  How do I get my /local partition to be
> > recognized by NetBSD?  It mounts /root and /usr, but I have a 200MB /local
> > partition on my 530MB Fujitsu that I would like it to take advantage of!
>
> although the INSTALL instructions imply (to me) that /local will be
> set up to mount like / and /usr are, it apparently isn't, and i haven't
> found formal instructions on what to do.
>
> i took a wild stab with newfs and /etc/fstab... i can't remember
> exactly what i did, but i know i had a minimum of arguments to newfs
> (just device name, i think) and fstab is easy to figure out.

Yup- the /etc/fstab is the key.

In Unix, only root and swap mount with the kernal boot-loader.  Any
additional filesystems thta you wish to mount must either:
	a) be mounted manually from the command line.
or	b) have an entry in the /etc/fstab.

The fstab acts like the DEVS/dosdrivers directory on the Workbench
side.  If your system is set up properly, anything located there
will automatically mount at every boot.

For your /local partition, log-in as root and vi /etc/fstab
(Y)ank the /usr entry and (P)aste it.  Modify the /dev/sdxx to match
the appropriate device and also change the mount-point (i.e. where
you want this thing to wind up "attached" to  the filesystem, most
likely /local).  You can then halt the system and on re-boot, fsck
will find it and run it's checks and after system start-up, it will
be there.  (Verify with a "df" command to show its size and space free)

This also assumes that you completed the full installation with the
/local partitition mentioned at the prompts.  If not, you will need
to run "newfs" prior to mounting it.  The newfs is kinda like a
"format" on the amiga side.  It lays down the file-structure, superblock,
etc. so Unix can use it as a normal filesystem.  Try "man newfs" if you
need help.

One last suggestion- if you change the mount-point for a new filesystem,
try and keep it relative to the root (/).  Mounting filesystems within
other secondary mounted partitions (i.e. /usr/local which mounts within
the /usr partition) is not a good idea since if /usr fails things can
get confusing.  Use symbolic links instead.

Good luck!  Enjoy!