Subject: Re: Disk geometry
To: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
From: None <>
List: amiga
Date: 11/20/1995 17:37:45
> Garth Corral ( wrote:
> : related.  They are as follows:
> :
> : warning found rdb->secpercyl(1045) != rdb->nsectors(117) * rdb->nheads(9)
> : warning lp->d_sparespercyl(8) not multiple of lp->d_ntracks(9)
> Hm, I thought from the beginning that the RDB reading code is a bit
> picky about things which are quite common - I have a similar warning
> when booting.

No, that's another problem, I encountered some time ago: it seems that
HDToolBox makes an error _sometimes_ when calculating the values, i.e.
SectorsPerTrack * Heads != SectorsPerCylinder.
This only happens in some cases, I noticed it one time with a DEC 1.6 GB
drive, it never happened on my own drives.
On the other hand, when I get a new harddisk, I use ProbeScsi to get the
number of blocks and calculate the optimal parameters. HDToolBox tends
to use rather bad values, which leave up to some MegaBytes of hd space

Bye,                    \|/
  Tobias                @ @
| Tobias Abt                                           |
| email:                 |
|   irc: tabt@#AmigaGer                                |
|   www: |