Subject: N*XTSTEP Window Manager!
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Hopper <bard@tiamat.chaldea.com>
List: amiga
Date: 11/14/1995 14:56:52
This is fantastic.  I never believed I'd see NetBSD-Amiga
cranking in a pseudo-NeXT environment.

Visit http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~byang/bowman.  'Bowman' is a
great little window manager that mimics the Workspace Manager
on NEXTSTEP.

It's based on fvwm (module-compatible, too), so it's got a
small footprint.  The author is positioning it as a future
window manager for GNUSTEP.  As it was originally just a
set of patches to fvwm, I've found it to be very stable (and
with a few color modifications, your old .fvwmrc can be used).

I'll put this into a package for folks if there's a big demand.
Obviously, it won't look so great without a gfx card and _at least_
256 colors.  That's the drawback; the window manager stuffs the
colorspace pretty full at 8 bits.  Mosaic & XV work fine but xearth
will choke.

David Hopper (bard@tiamat.chaldea.com)
Anthropology Department, Stanford University
Senior Technical Consultant, Technical Support Group @ Microsoft Corp.
NetBSD 1.0A (tiamat.chaldea.com) : NEXTSTEP 3.3 (marduk.chaldea.com)