Subject: Re: SOme little questions not in FAQ
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Teske <teske@y4me.desy.de>
List: amiga
Date: 11/07/1995 10:22:16
On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Rob Leland wrote:

> > Well, the first strange thong I notice is thar the passwords are not stored
> > in /etc/passwd file. I didn't see any change into it. Where they are
> > stored?
> /etc/shadow

Hmm. On my system it is /etc/master.passwd. Just a warning in case you
don't know : don't edit here, use vipw:)

> > I was thinking to upgrade to 1.1alpha, but I suppose the kernel is not
> > compiled for picasso. If I'm right, compiling "current" distribution will I
> > be able to (eventually including some files) build a picasso version?
>
> Yes, the netbsd-generic is compiled and should work on most amiga including
> picasso. Only the cybervision doesn't work I believe.

It doesn't work under some conditions on a '40. That's a problem in the
ZorroIII memory mapping. There already exists a patch for it, I hope it
made it into the sources yet.

> > Have I to download gcc2.7 to avoid problems in recompiling kernel?
>
> I have both gcc 2.4.5, and 2.7.0. I use 2.4.5 to rebuild the distribution
> and 2.7.0 to build all the extra stuff(/usr/local/bin).
> I believe, (have tried), that inorder
> to provide a working kernel with 2.7.0 that you need to link in
> the memory allocation code from libc, I could be wrong.

I heard that it's not a good idea to use gcc2.7.0.

--
Michael Teske (teske@dice2.desy.de)