Subject: Re: Random crashes.
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Patrick Johansson <d9patric@dtek.chalmers.se>
List: amiga
Date: 10/31/1995 12:38:09

> Mister Gandalf (mgandalf@epix.net) wrote:
> : I have an A3000 w/16megs of RAM.  I have, in the past, installed NetBSD on my system with no trouble.
> I have recently had motherboard problems and now I can't seem to get NetBSD installed again.  I get random
> crashes usually caused by an FFS error.  Some errors are illegal instructions, some MMU trouble.  I have
> tried three CPU cards, all '040's and none have cured the problem, so I know it's not a CPU problem.
>
> Hm... did you get your motherboard/BUSTER exchanged? The 3640 is known
> to be very picky with motherboards, especially if a real demanding OS
> like NetBSD tries to setup the MMU.
>
> :
> : Does anyone know what chip on the MB might be causing this?  I have traded off the CIA's, the Denise,
>  and the Paula and none have gotten me anywhere.  My system runs Amiga software well, but also crashes
> under SS now when it once didn't.
>
> 	Ignatios Souvatzis

Could you tell something more about this 3640 phenomenon? I get random
lockups on my A4000/040, which leaves the system with the disk LED lit. I
read about the sbic driver and similar lockups, but this shouldn't have
anything to do with my IDE disks (a Seagate 340M and a Maxtor 525M), should
it?

It has crossed my mind that this could be hardware dependent, but at the
same time it looks like some driver bug or so (the lockups often occur at
heavy disk load - but not necessarily). For example, I can compile a new
kernel, but only without X running. Which is stupid anyway since I've
got only 10M RAM - hence the disk load...

/ Patrick