Subject: Re: panic: kmem malloc: mb_map too small
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: amiga
Date: 10/23/1995 06:43:15
> As computer networks get larger, and applications grow increasingly
> network-oriented, I would tend to favor the default NMBCLUSTERS being
> raised from 256/512 to 1024/2048 (without/with GATEWAY).  Just like we
> recently raised CHILD_MAX frm 40 to 80, the lower value just doesn't seem
> to make sense for modern systems anymore...
>
> Comments?

Yes:

The allocation should be fixed so that it doesn't panic in that case.
It shouldn't, and it's not very hard to fix, even "the right way."

Then, if there's _still_ a need, consider changing the default.
There's no reason to waste the memory unless you _know_ you need it,
and there are more places, by far, that don't need it than that do.

chris