Subject: slow PPP speed in NetBSD 1.0
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Shaffer <jshaffer@pennet.net>
List: amiga
Date: 10/22/1995 14:38:34
Using AmiTCP 4.0eval and PPP 1.30eval, I get around 1000 cps with a 14.4k
modem.  This was about what I expected from the evaluation version of PPP.
While I was briefly experimenting with Linux 0.9.x, I got several hundred
cps better.  Again, this was what I expected, because Linux is not a demo
and has VJ compression enabled.  Now the problem: for various reasons, I
decided to run NetBSD 1.0 instead of Linux.  However, when using PPP I
have never gotten better speed than under AmigaDOS, and quite often I get
several hundred cps worse.  Is NetBSD's implementation of PPP just
inefficient at this stage (although I believe it includes VJ compression),
or do I have something mis-configured?