Subject: Re: scsi synchronous mode
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frank Dana <danaf@cs.rpi.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 10/08/1995 22:37:00
With Shakespearian flourish, "Jasper Y. Wong" writes:

[...]

Hey, Jasper! I'd offer to just drop by and help you out, but despite the
proximity of our email addresses, I'm in California right now...  8)

Aaanyway..

> [...]
> The kernel's dated August.  I binpatched the kernel (amigaOS side) using
> 'binpatch -l -s _sbic_inhibit_sync -r 1 netbsd' and loads in the kernel
> with 'loadbsd -c 3000 -a netbsd'.  However, the problem didn't go away :(
> I have a 3000T/2chip/16fast/GForce'040w2meg/2MegSpectrum.  Following is
> the bootup screen I get when I copied loadbsd and netbsd to a ram disk
> and boot up from there (booting off from harddrive stops even earlier).
> The HD status light stays on after the last line, the cursor does blink,
> however.

If you're still getting "target is synchronous" messages on bootup, then
the binpatch DIDN'T work. I've had some problems getting binpatch to
actually do its job and PATCH anything. It's really weird, and I don't
understand it, but I have to go through quite a rigamarole. Here's what I
did to get the patch to work:

binpatch -w -s _sbic_inhibit_sync -r 1 netbsd
binpatch -l -s _sbic_inhibit_sync=1 netbsd
binpatch -l -s _sbic_inhibit_sync -r 1 netbsd

The patch actually goes through on the second or third line. The secret
seems to be doing a word patch first, THEN a long patch. Don't ask me why,
that's just what works for me. If it works, you should see binpatch print
out a "1" as the value of sbic_inhibit_sync. Normally, it prints "0"
showing that the patch didn't take, even when you do it "correctly".

								-Frank

--
 ____ PRI | Frank R. Dana Jr.|Tau Epsilon Phi|email:danaf@cs.rpi.edu | _ _