Subject: Flakey keyboard?
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Werther Pirani <werther@karunko.nervous.com>
List: amiga
Date: 10/02/1995 23:55:55
   Hello,

I've been trying to install NetBSD 1.0 for some time now but the
keyboard of my Amiga 2000 is driving me nuts.  As soon as I touch any
key, it gets repeated for a row or two.  When it isn't, characters are
echoed to the screen with delay of up to 2 minutes.  Sometimes, the
keyboard locks completely.  So far, only a handful of hardware-banging
games and demos have misbehaved this way -- and I've seen quite a lot
of them!  What's happening?

Being not that desperate (yet!) to grab the latest sources and
recompile them from scratch, I've been playing around a bit with
"binpatch".  However, even setting "start_repeat_timeo" and
"next_repeat_timeo" to (much) higher values, produces no better
results.  In a nutshell, I'm at my wits' end and I'd be eternally
grateful to any kind soul willing to help me.  Just in case, here's a
bit more info:

HARDWARE CONFIGURATION
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Amiga 2000 (from 1987 but revamped with a V6 motherboard)
* OS 3.1
* 1 MB Chip RAM
* GVP 68030-22 Combo with 9MB of 32 bit RAM on board
* 850 MB Quantum Trailblazer

also (but this stuff is not "seen" by NetBSD):

* GVP Impact Series II SCSI/RAM card with 8 MB of 16 bit RAM on board
* 105 MB Quantum LPS

KERNEL
~~~~~~
Actually, this kernel is about a year old and it's one of the
precompiled kernels available with the "Gateway!" CD-ROM -- It's
843716 bytes long and its banner reads:

 NetBSD 1.0 GENERIC #0: Fri Oct 21 05:32:36 EDT 1994

My system is identified as:

 Amiga 500/2000 (m68030 CPU/MMU m68882 FPU)

and I think another relevant bit is:

 ite0 at grf0: rows 50 cols 79 repeat at (30/100)s next at (10/100)s

BTW: I'm using "loadbsd" 2.10 (28-January-1995) because loadbsd 2.9
insist on identifying my Amiga 2000 as an Amiga 1200 and the keyboard
locks right from the start! :-(

Sincerely,

Werther 'Mircko' Pirani
--
e-mail:          werther@karunko.nervous.com

"The more we lack something, the more we may be fascinated by
fragmentary glimpses of it" - Stephen L. Talbott