Subject: Re: Chat doesn't work!
To: David Hopper <bard@tiamat.chaldea.com>
From: Chris A. Mattingly <Chris_Mattingly@ncsu.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 10/02/1995 10:28:35
David Hopper wrote the following about "Chat doesn't work!" on Sun Oct  1 22:45:43 1995

> Well, not for me, anyway.  Has anyone else seen this?
> I've used both the snapshot from July _and_ now a
> newly-compiled September 27 version.  Chat just
> doesn't do _anything_.  Not from direct command-
> line input, nor from an input file.  Hangs for the
> timeout period, then exits with no error.  Doesn't
> even buzz the modem.  The man page is _no_ help.
>
> Seyon works fine, with both /dev/tty00 and /dev/modem
> (just a link to /dev/tty00).
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Hopper (bard@tiamat.chaldea.com)

Chat doesn't work _right_ for me.  I can make it dial the number, it'll
send my login id, send the password, then it's like it stop serial input or
something.  If I kill off chat, and start up kermit, all I have to do is
hit return, and i'm logged in.  (I can hit a space, then return, to
verify that it did send my_passwd, and a carriage return).

Here's my chat script:

ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "ERROR"
ABORT "BUSY"
TIMEOUT 2
"" "+\p+\p+\d"
OK-AT-OK ATZ0
TIMEOUT 60
OK ATDT5153407
CONNECT ""
"ogin: " "\p[user name]"
"ssword:" "\q[your passwd]"
TIMEOUT 45
"unity%" "/local/bin/pppd && logout"

So what's wrong with it, and also, why will it not log _anything_ to
syslog like it's supposed to?

Thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Mattingly       | My views are not necessarily those of my employers
camattin@eos.ncsu.edu |