Subject: Re: Problems with PPP
To: None <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Tom Hayko <tjhayko@timper>
List: amiga
Date: 09/17/1995 23:45:31
Hi Michael (Michael L. Hitch), in <9509180336.AA18485@gemini.oscs.montana.edu> on Sep 17 you wrote:

> > > Have you specified the address of your nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf ?
> > > If ping with numeric IP addresses works, then this is your problem.
> > >
> > >   -jm
> > >

> > ping with a numeric address only works if I ping the terminal server that I
> > got connected to.  ping with any other numeric address gives me "no route to
> > host".
>
>   Um, did you specify "defaultroute" on the pppd command or the options
> file, or specifically add a default route with the route command?
>
> Michael

I put the following in my /etc/ppp/ip-up:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig ppp0 up
ifconfig ppp0 inet 199.166.191.38 198.133.36.254 -arp -trailer
route add default 198.133.36.254

199.166.191.38 is my IP address and 198.133.36.254 is my default gateway.  I
think the second line is redundant.

I run the following script to get connected to my ISP:

#!/bin/sh
pppd /dev/tty00 38400 crtscts connect 'chat -f /etc/chatscript'

The file /etc/chatscript works properly, as I've run chat with -v and looked
at the output, and I do get logged in correctly and ppp starts up.

--
Tom Hayko
tjhayko@io.org    http://www.io.org/~tjhayko