Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD from soft kicked OS3.1
To: None <dwood@rhw.pic.net>
From: John Shardlow <john@iceberg.demon.co.uk>
List: amiga
Date: 09/10/1995 20:35:23
Hi "R. H. Wood" <dwood@rhw.pic.net>
   In <199509101844.NAA01044@rhw> you wrote:

> I'm booting NetBSD and using the os3.1 soft-kicked Rom on an A3000
> with no problems.  If you'll describe _exactly_ what's happening on
> your system (with your systems exact configuration - ram, etc), then
> maybe we can help you.

Sorry if my original post was a little vague. My system is a 16MHz A3000
with 2MB CHIP and 16MB FAST RAM. I'm soft-kicking the ROM from the
WB_2.x: partition so to swap I have to rename my Workbench3.0: partition,
which has the 3.1 DEVS:Kickstart file, to WB_2.x and rename the real WB_2.x
to WB_2.0 (or something else anyway).

Booting NetBSD works fine under 2.0. I get the usual message about RAM from
loadbsd and then the screen blanks (grey) and quite soon I get the 640x400
console display surrounded by a black border with all the boot messages.

Under ROM 3.1 I get the message from loadbsd but then the screen blanks (grey)
and thats as far as it gets. Nothing else ever happens and I have to CTRL-A-A
to get back to AmigaOS.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of buying "real" 3.1 ROMs but I'd hate to buy them only to
discover that I can't load NetBSD with them in there!

TIA,

John

--
|  John Shardlow - john@iceberg.demon.co.uk  |