Subject: Re: ppp on a dynamic connection
To: Karl Stenerud <esteneru@direct.ca>
From: 'Most Excellent' Eric Mehlhaff <mehlhaff@crl.com>
List: amiga
Date: 08/23/1995 22:35:25
esteneru@direct.ca (Karl Stenerud) recently wrote:

>I'm trying to set up a PPP connection to my net provider.  The only problem
>is that it is a dynamic connection, so I have no hostname.
>
>I tried the following to connect:
>
>pppd /dev/tty00 19200 defaultroute connect 'chat "" ATZ OK ATDT<phone_num>
>ogin: <myname> assword: <mypassword>'
>
>It connects, tells me my IP and GW addresses, and everything seems to be fine.
>
>When I try to ping or telnet or ftp anywhere it just responds "unknown
>host".  This includes the system I'm connected to!
>
>I have the nameservers and domain set in /etc/resolv.conf and have set up
>/etc/ppp/options to use /etc/ttyoo at 19200 with rtscts and defaultroute.
>
>What's wrong?

Make sure address negotiation is ON in /etc/ppp/options, and it might be
helpful to turn on debugging so that you can see the results of the
LCP and IPCP negotiation when pppd is trying to set up the connection.

I have used PPP to connect to a dynamically assigned ip address and it's
pretty straightforward.  I'm not even sure how you'd approach a dynamically
assigned address for a SLIP connection...

You can also use 'netstat -rn' to see if pppd is actually starting up and
installing the default route.

 Eric Mehlhaff, mehlhaff@crl.com