Subject: ppp on a dynamic connection
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Karl Stenerud <esteneru@direct.ca>
List: amiga
Date: 08/23/1995 13:38:16
I'm trying to set up a PPP connection to my net provider.  The only problem
is that it is a dynamic connection, so I have no hostname.

I tried the following to connect:

pppd /dev/tty00 19200 defaultroute connect 'chat "" ATZ OK ATDT<phone_num>
ogin: <myname> assword: <mypassword>'

It connects, tells me my IP and GW addresses, and everything seems to be fine.

When I try to ping or telnet or ftp anywhere it just responds "unknown
host".  This includes the system I'm connected to!

I have the nameservers and domain set in /etc/resolv.conf and have set up
/etc/ppp/options to use /etc/ttyoo at 19200 with rtscts and defaultroute.

What's wrong?