Subject: Re: slip and PPP
To: Calvin <diavolo@azure.engin.umich.edu>
From: Mark C. Gay <markg@teleport.com>
List: amiga
Date: 08/21/1995 21:58:47
diavolo@azure.engin.umich.edu writes:
 > On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, John Shardlow wrote:
 >
 > > #!/bin/csh
 > >
 > > /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/tty00 38400 defaultroute connect 'chat "" ATZ OK ATDT{1}
 > >  ogin: {2} assword: {3} otocol: PPP HELLO' {4}:
 >
 > This isn't the most secure way of doing it.  Suppose a user logs in and
 > does:
 >
 > ps auxww | grep pppd
 >
 > ?  They'll grab your password!

Well, I'd like to thank you for pointing that out, I think it might depend
on what security measures are being taken on your internet server though.
I've asked if it would be a problem where I'm at, but even before I saw
your message I was planning on moving the details into the config files
anyhow.

I'd also like to thank John, his advice helped me make a lot of progress
as well.

Currently I can get the ppp connection established and ping the local
and remote addresses.  I put the remote hostname and domain into
/etc/hosts with the address, and now I can telnet to the remote
host.  I have access to the names and addresses of the name server
and news server etc... but at this point I'm at a loss, I can't figure
out what to do with this stuff to get my local software set up.

What's next?

--Mark

markg@teleport.com