Subject: Problems with NetBSD 1.0 and A2024
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Simons <simons@peti.rhein.de>
List: amiga
Date: 08/21/1995 01:14:51
A few months ago, a friend of mine compiled a NetBSD 1.0 kernel for my
Amiga 3000 with A2024 Monitor and everything worked fine so far.
However, a few days ago I decided to recompile the whole thing in case
some day in the future I would have to patch the kernel in some way. I
like trying things before it becomes really urgent. :-)

What happened is this: I used the very same sources, the same config
file and the same compiler to compile the kernel. But when I booted
it, my display went completely black and stayed that way. Then my
friend compiled the kernel again on his machine and this version did
the same! His old version still works, though.

After trying all kind of stuff, we found out, that the display it not
initialized correctly. The following series of iteconfigs makes the
display visible again:

iteconfig -w 640  -h 512  -d 1
iteconfig -w 1024 -h 1024 -d 1 2 0

The monitor is obviously configured to the A2024 modus because just
changing the number of bitplanes and colors doesn't do anything. But
it seems to pop up with two bitplanes instead of one, which causes the
display problems.

I have browsed through the sources to no avail and all defaults seem
to be initialized correctly, though.

Furthermore, the problem doesn't occur, when I start the new kernel
via the reload mechanism, it just happens when rebooting the machine
completely.

I tried switching to the A2024 mode (under AmigaOS) before starting
NetBSD, but that didn't help either.

Does anyone have an idea what to try? Any wild speculation where the
problem could be? The machine works, it's just that the display is
black until the two iteconfigs are executed.

	bye, Peter

--
 Finger simons@comma.rhein.de for my PGP key. Encrypted mail is welcome!
 Try http://www.im.net/cgi-bin/local_homepages or http://comma.rhein.de/~simons.