Subject: Re: Random console lockups
To: Blaz Zupan <blaz.zupan@uni-mb.si>
From: Chris A. Mattingly <Chris_Mattingly@ncsu.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 08/02/1995 08:42:52
Blaz Zupan wrote the following about "Random console lockups" on Tue Aug  1 17:21:07 1995

> For a few weeks now I'm experiencing random console lockups.
> I could not exactly find a reason why this is happening,
> but it is usually triggered by a session switch in GNU screen,
> or by some rapid output of a program (like ls), or it happened
> to me three times while I was typing some text on IRC and at
> the same time a new message arrived. The console locks up
> completely, no output, no input. But it seems like the system
> is otherwise still ok because if I'm downloading something
> at the time the download process continues just fine, and I
> guess if I had an opportunity to login remotely I could work
> just fine.

I've had the exact same problem.  (I thought it was screen's fault
too, until it locked up when I wasn't running screen)

> Could anybody please suggest how I could go about debugging
> this?

I wish I knew...

> At the time the lockups started to occur I upgraded to a
> newer version of screen, but I changed that back to the
> old version and the lockups still occur. I don't quite
> remember what I was doing to the kernel at that time but
> just to be on the safe side I removed all my private patches
> and was running a stock -current kernel for a few days,
> until the console locked up again. So currently I'm
> out of ideas.

I haven't run netbsd is a while, just because of that.

> The lockups don't happen like every second day. I noticed
> that there is usually some modem activity when the console
> locks up, so this could be related.
>
> This is NetBSD/amiga running a kernel around July 6th.

Happened with me since late June, and is still here.

> Thanks for any help in advance.
>
> --
>   Blaz Zupan, Ljubljanska 19/b, 62000 Maribor, Slovenia
>      blaz.zupan@uni-mb.si, 2:380/104.40, GMIZO::BLAZ

Just lettin' ya know that Blaz isn't the only one who has these problems.
:-)

-Chris
--
Chris Mattingly       | My views are not necessarily those of my employers
camattin@eos.ncsu.edu |