Subject: Please help: vm_fault with July 2 snapshot
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
List: amiga
Date: 07/18/1995 04:04:41
Hi there...

I just installed all of the binaries from the July 2 snapshot, and I'm
having a big problem.  When the system comes up and goes into multiuser,
I get the message "vm_fault(f8000, 300400013, 0) -> `" over and over
until it wedges.

This happened to me before when I tried to install the June snapshot,
and I was told my someone here that I needed to recompile my binaries.
Well, this time I've checked that every binary in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin,
and /usr/sbin are all from the snapshot and I've removed every reference
to /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin from /root/.* and /etc/*.

This is with the LEV6 kernel... It's an A3000 with an Emplant and a
Retina Z3, with no other cards, so I doubt it's anything related to
the level 6 stuff.

Help?  Has anybody else seen these symptoms?  This is particularly
frustrating because I need to change my monitor characteristics and
only have recent kernel sources.  So as long as I can't compile a new
kernel that will work, I can't use X.

Thanks for any suggestions y'all can offer.
--
Todd Masco     | "'When _I_ use a word,' Humpty-Dumpty said, in a rather
cactus@hks.net |  scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean -