Subject: installation problems
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Calvin <diavolo@azure.engin.umich.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 07/15/1995 21:09:32
I'm doing an 1.0 installation from scratch and I have the boot floppy and
the inst-10.fs disk.

I'm doing a 1.0 installation from scratch.  I have a copy of loadbsd and
the netbsd kernel (size: 843716).  I also have a copy of the boot-10.fs
bootfloppy which has an lha'd kernel that decompresses to size: 846247.
I'm not sure which one is the correct 1.0 kernel.

I'm using 1 drive with 7 partitions.  1 Root, 1 Swap and 5 user
partitions.  The order they're partitioned is 20 meg (user), 20 meg
(swap), 70 meg (user), 50 meg (user), 50 meg (user), 15 meg (root), 101
meg (user).  The installation docs says that "0x4e425207" (for example)
should be entered as the "DOSTYPE" for root... But in my copy of
HDToolbox there is no dostype, there is a box for "IDENTIFIER" which I
guess is what was meant (?).  The numbers:

0x4e425207 = "NBR\7" (root)
0x4e425301 = "NBS\1" (swap)
0x4e425507 = "NBU\7" (user)

Shouldn't the swap identifier read: "0x4e425307" (?) or is NBS\1
correct?  I tried it both ways with no luck.

When I mount the inst-10.fs floppy as the root filesystem, it goes into
the installation program and prompts to begin.  When I enter "y" it scans
for the root device and does not find anything.  It says that nothing of
type sd found, and that there may be problems with the installation
disk.  (?)

I had a pre-1.0 kernel running which identified the hard drive controller
as a 2091, and listed the devices connected to it.  This kernel doesn't
do that, instead it prints out stuff like ztwo....etc etc etc.. could it
be misidentifying the controller type?

The netbsd scsi drive is 6, and I have two Amiga drives connected, 0 and
3.  During the boot it recognizes all my 32 bit ram, machine type,
processor&coprocessor, but seemingly none of the hard disks?

Help appreciated.

--
 o/ \o/  o  <o   o  o   o    She walks in  beauty, like the night
<|   |  /|\  |> <|><|> <|\       Of cloudless climes and starry skies;