Subject: Re: newfs
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Richard H. Wood <dwood@rhw.pic.net>
List: amiga
Date: 07/15/1995 09:21:24
According to Michael L. Hitch:

> > AFAIK NetBSD supports only 880KB disks.
>
>   No, NetBSD also supports 1760K disks - at least it works on the one on
> my A4000.
>
>   The driver does require that the drive identify the type of disk though,
> so if the drive does not report that it has an HD floppy, the driver won't
> switch to the HD parameters.
>
> Michael

Humm...I've got an A3000 and a HD drive in /dev/sd0a.  When I try a
HD floppy, I get:

root@rhw(bash)$ newfs /dev/fd0a
newfs: /dev/fd0a: not a character-special device
write error: 1759
wtfs: Input/output error

[I get the same complaint (about the character-special device) when
I do a DD floppy in the same drive, but it goes ahead and formats
the filesystem.]

Does the 'write error: 1759' indicate it _does_ know it's a HD floppy?
If so, what else might be the problem here?

If not, could the driver be changed to use the minor device number to
distinguish HD/DD similar to how the scsi tape driver recognizes the
Archive?  (btw, thanks for that tip, Michael!)

Curiously,
Richard H. \X/ood                                        dwood@rhw.pic.net
246 Bancroft Drive,     Garland,  TX   75040    USA        +1 214 530 2595