Subject: Re: NetBSD-current...
To: None <Amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Paul <xeglon@shell.portal.com>
List: amiga
Date: 07/09/1995 21:41:37
On Sun, 9 Jul 1995, Rafael Munoz wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Well, I just updated my v1.0 to the latest snapshot 07/02/95 snapshot.  All
> "went well", but ofcourse, I have some questions!
>
> 1) I have an A3000 w/Picasso 2 Megs, and when I boot with the
> netbsd.GENERIC that came with the snapshot, I see that I get a Picasso
> console (or is it a Cirrus console :-) ), and it recognizes my Picasso, so
> that is good, however, when starts checking my devices sd0, etc, it hangs
> (and yes, it works with v1.0).  This is what I get on the screen:
>
>    ahsc0: target 3 now synchronous, period = 208ns , offset = 12.
>    ahsc0: abort icmd: csr = 0x4b, asr = 0x00
>    sbicwait TIMEO @417 with asr=x0 csr=x4b

I also get the exact same problem about 6 out of 10 fresh boots. but
eventually, the system will indeed get by disk that wont seem to
go synchronous.  Keep rebooting and retrying and see if after about 10
boots it gets by the drive... Also (just for kicks) double check your
SCSI chain and termination...

In my case, I'm running an A2000 with a GVP-GFORCE-040,
SCSI-II on the GVP, and the drive that "get's stuck" is a Fujitsu 540MB
SCSI-II which IS the NetBSD drive.

I was able to temporily fix this problem but it seems to come back
every so often.  The fix entailed using the latest version of GVP
ExpertPrep amd setting the drive's SYNCHRONOUS flag on and then going
into C= HDToolbox (using gvpscsi.device as the tool type) and
writing the drive without changing it...  This seems to cure it for
several weeks- whatever it is, it seems like software or rdb settings..

Just my "sychronous drive" experiences!  Now back to work on the
PicassoII+GVP-040 bugs!  Ciao!

Steve Paul,  McCue Systems, Inc.               	                  Unix/VMS/C/C++
stevep@mccue.com 					           SUN/AMIGA/DEC
xeglon@shell.portal.com	       "If at first you don't suceed, redefine success."

Note: The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer.