Subject: Problems with current kernels..
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rasmus Wiman <razz@lysator.liu.se>
List: amiga
Date: 07/04/1995 19:26:21
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 19:06:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Rasmus Wiman <razz@lysator.liu.se>
To: amiga@NetSBD.ORG

I have just brought home the -current kernal sources and compiled a new
kernel, and it's really nice to finally have a Picasso console in
800x600, but there are some problems. (everything except the kernal are
1.0) The worst problem is ps, no matter what I do it keeps saying proc
size mismatch (7728 total, 642 chunks) when root runs it, and
/dev/kmem:permission denied when ordinary users run it. I have brought
home the -current ps sources and recompiled it, but it doesn't help...
Also, it seems like I have to keep some Native ECS stuff in the kernal in
oreder to make the console bell work, which means that NetBSD opens an
ECS screen for a couple of seconds before opening on the picasso. Is
there a workaround for this? I'd like to omit all ECS graphics in the
kernal and still have a console bell, thus making the kernal smaller and
making the boot process look better! And how can I stop that cursor from
blinking, it's irritating! Please don't tell me to recompile all the
binaries, I don't have space for much more than the kernel sources on my
hard disk!

I also have some trouble with 16 and 24 bit modes with the Xcl server: if
I take a working 8-bit mode and simply change the depth to 15, 16 or 24,
i get a totally unsynced mode. It's not very surprising, but how do I
change the pixel clock and the other parameters to get a working 16 or 24
bit mode? I'm using the -950408 Xcl server from ftp.uni-regensburg.de...

By the way, how do i write a printcap file for a postscript printer
attached to the parallel port? Also, is the -current source tree at
ftp.NetBSD.ORG mirrored somewhere? Netbsd.ORG is sooo SLOW!

       	                Rasmus  Wiman
                   THE LAST SURFER IN HELL

razz@lysator.liu.se (Preferred)
rasmus_wiman@augs.se (also possible)