Subject: Re: Exabyte doesn't work with NetBSD1.0A
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Donn Cave <donn@u.washington.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 06/29/1995 22:27:41
| I have an Exabyte tape streamer here, but netBSD doen't seem to work
| with it.
|
| It identifies it on bootup as :
| ahsc0 targ 0 lun0: <EXABYTE, EXB-8200, 251k> SCSI1 1/SEQUENTIAL
| removable st0 at scsibus1: drive empty

I will send a patch which, applied to /usr/src/sys/scsi/st.c, will
probably improve Exabyte support.  It's mostly the old 0.9 driver's
Exabyte support grafted into the 1.0a distribution;  you may already
have received something similar from the same person I got it from.
Obviously a kernel rebuild is called for.

| Could it mean that an Exabyte isn't supported? I thought they are
| popular drives.

As already mentioned, mt doesn't know from cheeseburgers (I look forward
to trying Olaf Seibert's modifications).  The way you can tell if it's
not supported, is that the config blurb says nothing about "rogue".
The <EXABYTE ...> stuff comes straight from the drive, and in most
cases the driver does not recognize it.  If it does, it will call it
a "rogue", and it's more likely to work.  Weird, but true.  Current
kernel source may be different.

	donn@u.washington.edu