Subject: Re: Exabyte doesn't work with NetBSD1.0A
To: NetBSD Amiga <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
List: amiga
Date: 06/28/1995 00:31:16
    Hi Arthur,

you wrote in <199506270722.QAA08772@morinda.cs.ntu.edu.au>:
> It says empty even there is a tape in it.,

That is not so important. Only a single version of David's Fastlane drive
recognized CD-ROMs on my Toshiba 4101 on bootup and none of them ever
recognized a tape in the drive.

> mt status reports:
> 7: unknown tape drive type

It reports this for nearly all streamers I know. This is somehow
braindead but "mt" works anway so I don't care.

> Could it mean that an Exabyte is'nt supported?

I don't think SCSI tapes need special supports as long as the implement
SCSI in a proper way. But this "simple" condition is somethims not so
easy to fulfil. The problem is that the NetBSD SCSI drivers is too
unflexible to handle "broken" devices. My Tandberg 3660 e.g. works
with AmigaOS (Z3 Fastlane) but fails under NetBSD (Z3 Fastlane and
NCR in i386 system, same error message).

--
Matthias Scheler
tron@lyssa.owl.de