Subject: Exabyte doesn't work with NetBSD1.0A
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Arthur Hoffmann <hoffmann@it.ntu.edu.au>
List: amiga
Date: 06/27/1995 16:52:52
I have an Exabyte tape streamer here, but netBSD doen't seem to work
with it.

It identifies it on bootup as :
ahsc0 targ 0 lun0: <EXABYTE, EXB-8200, 251k> SCSI1 1/SEQUENTIAL
removable st0 at scsibus1: drive empty

It says empty even there is a tape in it., so I do a
cp /netbsd /dev/reload.

then it comes up with:
ahsc0 targ 0 lun0: <EXABYTE, EXB-8200, 251k> SCSI1 1/SEQUENTIAL
removable st0 at scsibus1: density code 0x0, variable blocks, write
enabled

but it doesn't work

when I try to do a backup of / it comes up with the following:

# tar -xvpf /dev/rst0 /
netbsd.good		<--first file it tries to backup
ahsc0: csr == 0x%i
ahsc0: abort initr: csr = 0x4f, asr = 0x00

both the green and the red light of the Exabyte come on, indicating that it is
writing to the tape. But it is not.

Turning off and on the drive gets rid of the computers scsi light, but
it still hangs.

Any clues?

btw.

mt status reports:

7: unknown tape drive type

Could it mean that an Exabyte is'nt supported? I thought they are
popular drives.

Thanks for any help.