Subject: Re: identd looping?
To: NetBSD list <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 06/26/1995 22:08:13
On Jun 25, 10:59am, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> On Jun 25,  1:31pm, Jukka Marin wrote:
> > On 1.0, identd seems to work properly.  On -current (the June snapshot),
> > inetd says:
> > Jun 25 13:15:09 silakka inetd[85]: /usr/libexec/identd: exit signal 0xa
> > Jun 25 13:27:36 silakka last message repeated 195 times
> > Jun 25 13:27:37 silakka inetd[85]: ident/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated
> >
> > I tried the 1.0 binary and it behaves the same.  I compared the inetd.conf
> > files and they look the same.
> >
> > What's the problem? :-o
>
>   I just noticed this yesterday.  Identd had been working previously (as
> long as it was looking at the netbsd image that was actually running).
> This was with May 31 kernel sources, as I have not updated my working
> kernel sources to later versions yet.  As far as I can tell, I haven't
> changed anything that should affect this, so I'm not sure what is
> wrong.  My log file shows that it seemed to be working on June 20 and
> June 22, but failed on June 24.

  Interesting - I just rebuilt inetd (from old sources, around May 17)
and that one seems to run fine.  Also, when I was checking the log file
on the remote system that was requesting the identification, I noticed
that it appeared to have gotten the username from my system, even though
the inetd messages showed the exit signal messages.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant