Subject: Re: current kernel & inst. floppy?
To: Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn@anon.hfk.mil.no>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 06/15/1995 13:42:25
On Jun 15,  6:55pm, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> I'm using Daniel Widenfalk's Fastlane driver, which I believe is built on
> a -current kernel. I've only got a 1.0 install floppy, do I need to get a
> newer (ie. -current) floppy also to install this?

  A newer floppy would make the install easier, particularly if you want
to install the distribution files from an AmigaDOS partition.
Unfortunately there is no newer floppy.

> Also, is there any NetBSD-specific "thing" saying that hard disks must have
> a sector-size of 512 bytes?
> I've tried installing NetBSD on a disk which have 1024 bytes sectors, but
> NetBSD only says "bad partition id" or somthing like that.

  There is not a 'NetBSD-specific "thing"' which says hard disks must
have a 512 byte sector size, but NetBSD does make that assumption.  The
Amiga-specific code can deal with larger sector sizes, but the sd disk
driver does not.  A small patch to the sd driver will fix that, but all
the NetBSD paging code assumes a 512 byte block size.  This is not so
trivial to fix.

  I helped one person get NetBSD configured to use a Magneto-Optical
drive with a 1024 byte block size.  It was working fine for access as
data, but programs couldn't be run from it.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant