Subject: Re: silo overflows w/ GVP SCSI
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Antti-Pekka Liedes <apl@lyseo.otol.fi>
List: amiga
Date: 06/14/1995 02:01:47
On Tue, 13 Jun 1995 thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu wrote:

> That's interesting - with my GVP A530 Accel/SCSI system at 38.4k, disk
> access merely bring all serial access to a dead stop until a second or
> two after the access stops.  Of course, I am using CSLIP, so the protocol
> takes care of the corrupted packets before they could create an overflow -
> but the root of the problem is the serial driver.

On my system, C2000 with GVP Combo 22MHz, there is the same problem with
simultaneous hard drive and serial access.  Whenever HD is accessed, it
causes serial (I use 14.4k and 57.6k) to lose lots of characters.  The
same thing happens in both NetBSD (on both 1.0 and -current from
Ican'trememberwhen) and AmigaOS 3.1, with all the software and serial
drivers I've used.  I've heard from somewhere that it is a usual hardware
bug on different GVP accelerators.

> > So, has anyone written a GvpPatch for NetBSD?
>

> There is a patch for NetBSD 1.0 that claimed to give much better
> serial performance, but I don't know if it was incorporated into
> -current.  When I tried it, the kernel didn't work on my machine...

I would very much like to see a fix to this problem.  It doesn't matter
that much since the protocols I use correct any line errors, but it slows
for example downloads, since whenever the file is being written on my HD,
it causes errors on the transfer.  If anyone knows of any solutions on
either AmigaOS or NetBSD/Amiga (or even hardware level), please tell me.

> ---
> Jeff Thieleke
> thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu
> http://www.icaen.uiowa.edu/~thieleke

Antti-Pekka Liedes   *   email: apl@otol.fi        *   "Ho behold, another
Kirkkokatu 56 D 44   *   Astaroth@IRC              *   flea has come to bite
90120  OULU          *                             *   the hand of God"
FINLAND              *   phone: +358-81-3119 682   *            -Berserker