Subject: Re: pthreads
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 06/12/1995 23:27:07
> I believe the reason TAS won't work is an OS thing, not a hardware thing,
> but I may well be wrong.

I'd believe that, but...

TAS is present in every m68k processor that i've got manuals here for
(admittedly, only the '020 and '030, but i don't recall it being one
of the instructions that has to be emulated in either the '040 or
'060).

TAS is not a privileged instruction.

Given that, the only places where the OS _could_ be involved are:
	(1) in the possible handling of faults related to read/write
		operation, and
	(2) in dealing with caching issues.

It's not clear to me how the OS could get either of those 'wrong' in
such a way that TAS wouldn't be usable...

(Note that everything that i've mentioned above applies to CAS and
CAS2, as well...)

chris