Subject: Re: -current since Apr 29 not booting... anyone else?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 05/16/1995 21:46:49
On May 16,  8:52pm, Peter Seebach wrote:
> Warp Engine '040, 16 megs ram, A3000.  I have a late march kernel that
> boots.  I have made a complete install of -current as of May 13th, and
> kernels built from Apr 29 or May 13th source just give me a gray screen.
>
> Suspiciously, there were "unresolved symbol" errors for "cninit", which
> I resolved by changing "machdep.c" to look for "itecninit()".  This may
> have been the wrong fix.

  Definitely the wrong fix.  The cninit() routine probes for the highest
priority console device and then calls that console's init routine.  Since
you have bypassed the itecnprobe routine, the console will never be
configured.

> Has anyone gotten an okay build recently, and if so, what is the correct
> thing for cninit()?  And, would that be an issue for my gray screen
> problem?  (It may be some other color; this is a 2024.)

  I had no problem building from the May 13 sources.  The cninit()
routine is in sys/dev/cninit.c.  That should have been included if
either the ser0 or ite? device was configured.

Michael