Subject: Re: Posting a snapshot to netbsd.org
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Stephen Champion <steve@herb.kuru.com>
List: amiga
Date: 05/09/1995 14:11:53
Chris G Demetriou said:

> > 	Unfortunately, amiga/ is a softlink, not a tree, and
> > therefore seemingly excludes amiga specific binaries.
>
> "look before you leap."
>
> 4 [sun-lamp] amiga % pwd
> /a/anon_ftp/pub/NetBSD/arch/amiga
> 5 [sun-lamp] amiga % ls
> snapshot/       utils/
>
> no, there's a directory there all right.

	I think we're talking about different places.  There isn't a
NetBSD/arch/m68k8k.

sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu:/pub/NetBSD/packages/binaries/NetBSD-1.0
ncftp>ls -l amiga
lrwxr-xr-x    1 1073            6 Mar  9 14:12 amiga@ -> m68k8k

	What is NetBSD/arch/* for, anyway?  The purpose is not apparent
from it's name.  I think it would be an excellent idea to put full
trees there, rather than having things for each architecture split up all
over the place. Suggestion:  bin-dist/, experimental/, kernel/, tools/, and
contrib/, with a NetBSD/arch/m68k8k containing packages common to the 3
m68k8k ports.  Everything in one place for each version (1.0 or -current)
and architecture combination.

> Actually, could you send me (privately) contact information for the
> people who made that CD?  I _need_ to get in touch with them.

	I read about it in either comp.sys.amiga.announce or
comp.sys.amiga.reviews.  I think it's called Meeting Pearls II, but I'm
not sure who makes it.

> > The only advantage to
> > be gained from modifying it is to split it into amiga/ and m68k8k/.
>
> Which is a _very_ big advantage.

	It may be a big advantage, but if it is not done well, it will
be as cumbersome and unused as the present system on sun-lamp.  That's an
even bigger disadvantage, as it wastes time and disk space without
accomplishing anything useful.

--
//  Stephen Champion                   Software Eng, *ix Admin, OS Design
//  schampion@hampshire.edu            Hampshire College - Amherst, MA