Subject: Re: No build for quite a while...
To: None <ayrjola@letku.hut.fi>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga
Date: 05/02/1995 10:38:46

Ari> On Mon, 1 May 1995, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> I haven't been able to get a tarball to build for quite a while.
>> Symptomatic is that anything that is preprocessed and uses the
>> assembler fails.  I have rebuilt and reinstalled cpp, gas, and
>> /usr/include.

Ari> Tarball? If you mean the kernel sources, I noticed that if I used
Ari> 16-bit memory, I got strange error messages from cpp, but when
Ari> NetBSD was running only in 32-bit mem, it compiled fine.

Sounds like you have a GVP accelerator.  They have a bug with handling
3-byte wide bitfields in 16bit mem.  Compile as with -mnobitfield or
whatever the option was called, then recompile cpp with the new
assembler installed.  It's been a while since I fought with
that (now sold) GVP accelerator so I'm not sure that's the exact
option.  To be sure when generating new binaries put the option in the
specs file as well.  If you use Emacs, recompile it ASAP, it suffers
from the bitfield mistreatments as well.

This is just a guess of course, if you don't have a GVP accelerator,
this is of no use to you.

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email: niklas@appli.se
S-412 63  GOTEBORG	WWW:   Here
Sweden