Subject: Re: sound
To: None <SULEWSKIJ@delphi.com>
From: Stephen Champion <steve@herb.kuru.com>
List: amiga
Date: 05/01/1995 03:44:25
SULEWSKIJ@delphi.com said:

> I remember a while ago people where talking about using the amiga sound with
> NetBSD. How do you know if your kernel has the sound code compiled in it?
> Is there a program that will play music or something? Thanks
> joe sulewski

	In the unix world, sound is played by sending the raw data to a
device special file, with various iocntl ()'s on the node indicating data
form.  ie 'cat monkey.au > /dev/audio' plays a file on a Sun.

	For NetBSD-Amiga 1.0, there is an audio LKM (loadable kernel
module) on ftp.uni-regensburg.de and mirrors that adds audio handling
when combined with a patch to the kernel sources (included in the archive).
You then use mknod to create the corresponding /dev/ entries, /dev/aud[0-5].

	I've had trouble with the LKM.  X on my Retina Z2 freaks as soon as I
load it and is OK once I unload it.  It was just fine when I was running
Xamigamono on ECS.

--
//  Stephen Champion                   Software Eng, *ix Admin, OS Design
//  schampion@hampshire.edu            Hampshire College - Amherst, MA