Subject: Re: Disk performance under NetBSD on A3000
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <bsieker@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 04/24/1995 16:41:58
> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 1995 21:37:27 -0400
> From: "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@zombie.ncsc.mil>
> Sender: owner-amiga@NetBSD.ORG
>
> I'm seeing poor disk performance under NetBSD-current on my A3000.
> Under ADOS, I see about 1.7-2.0 megabytes per second (via sysinfo)
> while under NetBSD, I see about 500 kilobytes per second
> (dd if=/dev/zero of=zzzzz bs=1024k count=10).

Use a higher blocksize like 64k, and you'll see much better
performance. It should be about the same value as you get with
ADOS. And transfer more blocks, too; most accurate results are
obtained if you transfer several ten MB. (more than RAM preferably, or
the Cache may obscure the true disk performance.)

> What disk performance numbers are others seeing?

I get 2.7 MB/s with IBM 0662S Rev. 3 30, (synchronous) on an A3000 w/
A3640 under NetBSD

I get about 2.0 MB/s with SysInfo and SCSIspeed (asynchronous) under
ADOS.

> Thanks,
> -SR

	Bernd