Subject: Re: Disk performance under NetBSD on A3000
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephen Champion <steve@herb.kuru.com>
List: amiga
Date: 04/24/1995 02:50:18
Michael L. Hitch said:
>   A question for both Stephen and Arthur - what is the rotational
> delay between contiguous blocks for your file system?  I tried dd
> on an older partition (and a slower disk) and got 455902 bytes/sec.
> After using tunefs to set the rotational delay to 0, I got 1048576
> bytes/sec.  [The old default for newfs was 4ms for the rotational
> delay - which is not a good default for current SCSI drives.]

	I am experiencing poor disk performance under NetBSD as well.
I've thought about using tunefs but am unsure of how to find a good
rotational delay.  Is 0 a good value for faster drives (ie Quantum LPS
and/or Quantum Empire)?  How should the rotdelay be calculated, anyway?
	It would be nice if the tunefs (8) man page included such information.

	TIA!

--
//  Stephen Champion                   Software Eng, *ix Admin, OS Design
//  schampion@hampshire.edu            Hampshire College - Amherst, MA