Subject: Problems installing NetBSD 1.0
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeffrey Ray Thieleke <thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 04/01/1995 22:54:57
(I also posted this to comp.unix.amiga, so I apologize if you are seeing
this for the second time)

I've read through INSTALL about 100 times and checked the FAQ, but I
can't get NetBSD 1.0 installed on my system.

The problem is that after I start the installation program, it can't find
my root device.  I have checked the HDToolbox setup many, many times, and
it is exactly as how INSTALL specifies it (I think :)

I have an Amiga 500 & GVP A530 accellerator/hard drive (series II
controller).  I do have a full 68030 in the A530, and the MMU works with
other programs I have tried, such as VMM.

Here is what the configuration program reports with unimportant sections
deleted.  I get similar results with NetBSD 1.0 (GENERIC) and -current
(GENERIC) kernals.

NetBSD 1.0 (GRIZU) #2: Tue Dec 13 04:06:56 GMT 1994
.
.
.
Amiga 500/2000 (m68030 CPU/MMU m68882 FPU)
.
.
.
mainbus0 (root)
.
.
.
ztwobus0 at mainbus0
gvpbus0 at ztwobus0 rom 0xe90000 man/pro 2017/11
gtsc at gvpbus0 not configured

Proceed with installation? [n] y

Scanning for root device
(floppy drive access here, but absolutely no hard drive access)

The root device you have chosen is on:

FATAL ERROR
No devices for disks of type 'sd'
This is probably a bug in the install disks
Exiting install program

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get NetBSD installed?  I am using
loadbsd-2.10, since loadbsd-2.09 reports that I have an Amiga 1200.

Like I said before, I am fairly sure that I have my hard drive set up
properly.  If it makes any difference, the hard drive is SCSI unit 1 and
is a Quantum ELS170S, revision 4.07.

---
Jeff Thieleke
thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu