Subject: Re: unable to mount root
To: Jeff Mickey <jmic@Tezcat.Com>
From: Stephen Champion <steve@herb.kuru.com>
List: amiga
Date: 03/29/1995 19:07:35
> 	Several days ago, my system crashed with media errors in the /bin
> directory. I saved what i could of the files in my root partion, marked
> the bad blocks with HDtoolbox. I then rebooted from the install disks,
> and rebuilt the partion with newfs. Replacing the binaries from the
> distribution, and /etc, /root from my backup.
> 	Unfortunatly my system now hangs, when it attempts to mount the
> root partion, i get....
>
> 	2 mice configured
> 	10 views configured
>

> and then the system hangs. I suspect that i have missed something simple, or
> that this was not the way to repair the damage...:)

	Yup - that was not the way to do it.  You need to boot into
single user mode (off of the floppy if you have to), mount the damaged
partitions as read only, and use fsck to fix the damaged sectors.  If you
lose anything (you probably will now), you can get it back from the
binary distribution.

--
//  Stephen Champion                   Software Eng, *ix Admin, OS Design
//  schampion@hampshire.edu            Hampshire College - Amherst, MA