Subject: Re: Beginner Install Problems - kernel won't boot
To: John Vrolijk <dsnjvro@etmsun.etm.ericsson.se>
From: Ian Wellock <Ian.Wellock@isltd.insignia.com>
List: amiga
Date: 03/29/1995 11:57:27
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply; I was beginning to despair that my message was falling
on deaf ears... :-)

>On my Retina, the output looks like all characters are copied over to the
> left by 1 position.
Yep, that's exactly it.

How much VRAM do you have on your Retina?  I've got 4MB...
The reason I ask is that I can't imagine anybody writing this code and then
not trying it, so maybe it's a peculiarity with specific Retina boards...

>It started after I changed my GVP combo 030 for a GVP 040 at 33 Mhz.
Hmm... my problem is getting it to boot at all, so I can install it...
absolutely no change to my machine involved.

>it may be caused by the scrolling functions screen_up/screen_down in ite_rt.c
Yes, I'm convinced it's their fault too...

>It uses a trick from the videochip to scroll up/down, but I don't know how.

Hum.  Do you mean an *undocumented* trick or one in the Retina docs?
I will check it out and let you know.

>I have no idea how it works, and nobody has replied on my problem so far.
>Just that I should maybe implement CPU based scrolling.
<grin> I *will* fix this; I have enough resources to hack something up.
Without examining that code yet, my best guess is that it's reading a 16-bit
word for the pixels, and just duplicating the bottom half to get two identical
characters or something like that.

Anyway, THX very much; expect to hear from me by next week at the latest...

Cheers!
IanW, NetSlut.
ian@isltd.insignia.com  <-- Preferred
ian.wellock@net-link.com