Subject: netbsd Panic caused by remote restores
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: 'Most Excellent' Eric Mehlhaff <mehlhaff@crl.com>
List: amiga
Date: 03/08/1995 11:13:27
I have a sparc 5 running sunos4.1.3 which I'm trying to use rdump/rrestore
to a HP35480 tape drive on my amiga3000 over ethernet. The dump part seems to
work fine, but I can't use remote restores from the sparc, because it always
causes a kernal panic on the amiga.  I'm basically just doing a
'restore ivf amiga:/dev/nrst0' from the sparc, and the amiga just goes down.

The amiga's console message is:
panic: vmapbuf: null page frame

Which then drops me into the kernel debugger. A trace shows basically:

vmapbuf()
physio()
rawread()
spec_read()
ufsspec_read()
vn_read()
read()
syscall()
trap0()

( There's lots of numbers and such that I've omitted from the trace, but I can
supply them if they'd really be useful).

The tape drive appears to work fine for local dumps and restores on the
amiga, with the exception  that 'mt -f /dev/nrst0 status' always reports:
unknown tape drive type (7)

This is with a reasonably current kernel, compiled from last week's
tarballs.  It also happened on on my older kernel compiled  from
mid-February tarballs.

I thought I'd just mention this as a bug report.  If there's something I'm
doing wrong, I'd appreciate it if someone pointed it out.

Thanks!
Eric mehlhaff, mehlhaff@crl.com