Subject: tape drivers, hiccup ?
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Leland <leland@cais.cais.com>
List: amiga
Date: 02/28/1995 08:45:24
When restoring a /usr/src from tape, one file was skipped even
though it was on tape, all other files were properly restored.

Specifics:
Running Feb 20 snapshot, full binaries from Chris Hopps
A3000, 12MB FAST RAM, SCSI ID0 /,/usr, swap, other dirs, SCSI ID2 TAPE, SCSI 4 /usr/src
                           ^^^^^^^^                                      ^^^^^^^^
                            Netbsd 0.9 fs                                NetBSD-current file system
TAPE DRIVE is Archive Viper 2525 drive.

I was moving my /usr/src tree to a larger partition, so I backed
it up to tape uncompressed. After I restored /usr/src from tape
and started a rebuild the usr/src/usr.bin/m4/pathnames.h file
was missing. Looking at my backup tape the file was there and
when I did a tar -xvf /dev/Ast0 usr/src/usr.bin/m4 the entire
directory was extractred with no problem including the
pathnames.h file.

The /dev/Ast0 is block, major = 5, minor = 8.

/dev/rst0, and /dev/st0 won't work with this tape drive.

I know that most Unix systems use character devices for their
tape drives but that doesn't work for me.

SO- Any suggestions? I am willing to rm -r /usr/src, and start over
if there is debugging I can turn on. I would hate for this to happen
and not notice that something critical and unique was missing after
a few weeks from a tape.

-Rob