Subject: Re: Questions about the future
To: None <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga
Date: 02/14/1995 16:50:45

Ill> On Feb 13, 8:05am, mikeb@snow.datametrics.com wrote:
>> Subject: Questions about the future Just a couple of questions, a
>> couple of patches, one for 3 button mouse support and one for the
>> hardware clock, have been floating around, as well as an audio
>> device driver, but these have never seemed to make it into
>> -current. Will this ever happen?

Ill>  The patch for mouse is for 2-button-mice, not 3-button. I
Ill> don't think this is something usefull. May be adding the
Ill> patch for mouse1 is more alike? (Second port for
Ill> 2Button-only, 1 port for 3 button).

As the author of this hack, I must say I don't think it to be of
quality enough to include it in -current.  I'd rather see a
configurable maximum time between the buttonpresses were used to
decide if the third button should be reported as pressed.  As it is
now, it's too unreliable.

When it comes to device naming, why not:

mouse0a		3 button mouse in port 0	minor# 0
mouse0b		2 button mouse in port 0	minor# 1
mouse1a		3 button mouse in port 1	minor# 2
mouse1b		2 button mouse in port 1	minor# 3

and a mouseconfig to set parameters like accel, sensitivity, and the 3rd
button emul time parameter.

I haven't got the time to do this work now, but I'm happy to help out,
if anyone wants to do the dirty work.  It is an easy first project for
a wannabee kernel hacker...

Of course, all this could be in the Xservers as well, but putting it
in he kernel ensures it will be done in a uniform way for all
Xservers.

Niklas