Subject: Re: Emacs and kernel source
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <mikeb@snow.datametrics.com>
List: amiga
Date: 02/09/1995 06:17:08
> > I have had a bit of a problem with emacs, any time I try to run a make from
> > emacs, emacs hangs, not quite sure what it might be. If anyone out there
> > has any ideas, please let me know. I really like running make from because
> > of the automatic jump to line on error feature.
>
> 	How much memory you got?
> 	NetBSD-Amiga has a strange VM bug that is hard to trace, and
> results in systems occsionally hanging when doing intesive swapping.
> 	Since I got my Retina and have been doing nastier things than I
> have before, my system has hung twice - both times I was running emacs.
> 	I suspect that emacs + performing a make while running X might
> cause a problem on systems with 8M or less FAST mem.
> 	I have 8M FAST, 2 CHIP, and 2 on the Retina.

Yeah, I've only got 8M FAST, 2M CHIP too, AGA though, no video boards (soon
though...). That may be it, very likely that I'd run out of memory, however
I have been running X with emacs and two xterms, and pstat -T says I've
only used up 12M of 20M swap with all that running. Maybe it has something
to do with active pages that haven't passed the decay threshold filling up
real memory? Hmmm...

Mike B