Subject: Re: color X11R6 ECS
To: None <mw@eunet.ch>
From: Alan Kelm <kelm@aix1.uottawa.ca>
List: amiga
Date: 01/27/1995 20:27:12
On Thu, 26 Jan 1995 mw@eunet.ch wrote:

> AK> Xamiga24... did fine as a color server under X11R6 on my ECS A3000.
>
> *WHAT* ?? Xamiga24 is my baby, and I certainly didn't implement any color
> support for /dev/grf0... Are you sure you weren't confused by either
> a) the console cursor still being displayed, because it's on the second,
>    not used plane

It seems that this is the case.  On December 6  Markus Illenseer made the
following comment on the NetBSD-amiga list:

MI>   Xamiga24 works great on ECS, Retina, cirrus-based boards.

So I picked up Xamiga24 from the experimental directory at Regensburg,
and indeed it did give a screen with a pale purple color (rather than the
black and white which that the mono server gives).   There was also a bright
blue rectangle in the lower left corner of the X screen.  This led me to
believe I had color in the X server.   As you have pointed out, this is
the console cursor on another bitplane.

My apologies to anyone who was misled by my posting about color ECS with
Xamiga24.  Perhaps Gary Henderson's current effort will result in a true
color X11R6 server for ECS.

-Alan
>    to Xamiga24? >
> -Markus
> --
> EUnet Switzerland   Tel:     +41 1 291 45 80	Markus Wild
> Zweierstrasse 35    Hotline: +41 1 291 45 60	mw@eunet.ch
> CH-8004 Zuerich	    Fax:     +41 1 291 46 42	S=mw;P=EUnet;A=EUnet;C=CH
> >Solaris 2 is not an upgrade from Solaris 1. They just want you to THINK it is.

:  Alan Kelm                                           kelm@aix1.uottawa.ca  :
:  Department of Mathematics and Statistics,  University of Ottawa,  Canada. :