Subject: Re: AAARGH you people
From: Danny Lepage <poutine@M3iSystems.QC.CA>
List: amiga
Date: 01/23/1995 14:24:19
cout << Matthias Scheler
//
//     Hi Jukka,
//
// you wrote in <199501200633.IAA00525@muikku.jmp.fi>:
// > AND ALL THE TIME NETBSD KEEPS CRASHING BECAUSE OF A BUG IN THE VM/SWAP
// > SYSTEM (as I'm told)!!!
//
// Stop flaming and fix it. NetBSD is a project of the network community.
// If all people would just flame arround like you do it wouldn't exist.
//
// BTW I doubt the existence of this bug. I suppose that your hardware
// has a temperature problem.
//
// --
// Matthias Scheler
// tron@lyssa.owl.de
//

If this is a hardware problem, there's a lot of people with faulty hardware
(judging by number of article about this problem on comp.unix.amiga).

I did'nt notice any problem running with 16Meg, but I do when I
'loadbsd -m 4096' (with a 40Meg swap area).

The first time I tryed, I did a loadbsd -a -m 4096. The system booted
multi-user, no problem so far. I then trye to make tin-1.22. After
15min. of compiling, the kernel paniced with a vm_fault...
I tryed to reboot (loadbsd -a -m 4096), the kernel paniced everytime
during the daemons startup (after printer or inetd).

So, I suggest that people try starting netbsd with -m 4096, so we could
determine once and for all if there's a problem with the vm system of
NetBSD.

Meanwhile, what should I do to provide useful info about this problem
(what conf. options should I use to have debugging info in the kernel,
what commands should I used in the kernel debugger) ?

BTW: This message is not intended to be a flame. If it appears so,
I deeply appologize, I did'nt mean too.

The above test were done on:
  16Meg A3000 16MHz running current as of begining of January.

Danny Lepage