Subject: Re: console & X screen?
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Doug Lee <douglee@douglee.douglee.gts.org>
List: amiga
Date: 01/20/1995 04:30:29
:> I have this exact same problem with my Viking Moniterm (hardware
:> identicle to to the A2024?) and I find if I switch modes about 2 or 3
:> times with iteconfig, eventually it works.
:
:When I wrote the 2024 code I had problems with PAL modes.  Intermitently
:the switch to a PAL mode using iteconfig would blank the screen.  I was
:never able to determine why.  This may be what your running into.  Since
:doumentation on the 2024 is nil I just gave up.
:
:Chris.
:
:P.S. it could be a bug that I never managed to find if you want to go looking
:for it. :)
:

Don't feel bad, the AMIX people never found it either :-)

I have Amiga Unix (AMIX) with some of it's virtual consoles set up as 2024
screens. It has exactly the same bug running in PAL mode on an NTSC 3000.
I sometimes have to flip between a 2024 and PAL console several times to get
a display other than black in 2024 mode. I've never tried NTSC.

The Crystal frequency is slightly different than a machine built as PAL so this
could have something to do with it. The 2024 always works fine in PAL under
AmigaDOS.