Subject: Re: Graphics boards
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <bsieker@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: amiga
Date: 01/19/1995 23:55:23
|> From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf%hotdog.ping.de%lilly@life.ai.mit.edu>
|> > 2. Retina Z2.  The most likely board to be found on the second hand market.
|> >    Can it do 1152x900 non-interlaced?   How is it compared  to a Cirrus
|> >    board?  Is it slow?  (There must be a reason why they made Retina Z3)
|>
|> Yes it can do 1152x900 non-interlaced. As a matter of fact I am running it
|> now at a refresh rate of 70Hz. But this is only possible when it contains the
|> tuning kit ROMi (~100MHz Videobandwith).

Yes, it is very slow (unlike Retina BLt Z3, which is really fast under
NetBSD!), and

No, it can definitely do SUN-resolution (1152x900 in 8 bit) without
the tuning kit.

Apart from that the tuning kit is mere piece of software, and is
ignored by the NetBSD drivers, since these program the graphics chip
directly.

|> cheerio Berndt

	Bernd