Subject: Re: NetBSD on Aminet?
To: None <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de, feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de,>
From: None <ccobb@mango.mnemonics.com>
List: amiga
Date: 01/18/1995 14:12:49
>From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
>Subject: Re: NetBSD on Aminet?
>
>> Apparently-To: <feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
>>
>> Last time I considered integrating NetBSD into Aminet, Markus Wild told
>> me that it wasn't yet ready for such a wide distribution. Now we have
>> virtually unlimited disk space, and my impression is that NetBSD is now
>> mature and should be part of Aminet. I've considered Linux, too, but
>> it's a lot newer and a quick scan through this newsgroup shows that
>> NetBSD was mentioned twice as often as Linux.

I am in the process of preparing a NetBSD distribution kit for my
Amiga users group.  I have chopped the files up a little differently
so that they can fit on 720K or 1.44M floppies.  It takes 24 or 12
floppies, respectively, to hold the 1.0 binary distribution.  I am also
adding a supplementary readme file which adds my experience of getting
NetBSD installed and running (I had quite a number of things go wrong)
and corrects some aspects of the INSTALL file (e.g., boot.fs is now
obsolete).

I thought that this package might be better for Aminet that in its
current form.  I also felt that Aminet would be a good place for
*releases* of NetBSD and for Amiga-specific contributions but not
necessarily as a full distribution/mirroring site.  Comments?

Chris Cobb
ccobb@mnemonics.com