Subject: Re: bootstrap?
To: None <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga
Date: 01/12/1995 14:25:31

Matthias>     Hi Geert,

Matthias> you wrote in
Matthias> <199501110930.KAA05271@euler.cs.kuleuven.ac.be>:
>> > to have a machine completely _without_ AmigaOS?
>>
>> Yes of course!

Matthias> Without AmigaOS would mean that it is not even used to load
Matthias> the bootblock.  And that wouldn't work because NetBSD is not
Matthias> able to do Auto Configuration.

Your talking apples and oranges here, I think.  Matthias refers to
AmigaOS as the exec.library and dos.library, no?  Geert is talking
about the need of having a bootable ADOS partition with
s:startup-sequence et al.  Is that correct, Geert?  A custom bootblock
could do completely without ADOS partitions, but still exec.library
and dos.library will be present during boot, through ROMs.

I don't care too much about these isssues, although a custom bootblock
would be nice in that it would speed up my boot procedure with about a
minute (!).  Today I have to boot 1.3 -> 2.0 -> NetBSD, and with 2
SCSI busses and lots of SCSI devices the extra 2.0 boot takes a long
time.  Not to mention that sometimes my RetinaEmu (unnecessary
perhaps) fails with "Not enough memory" (I have 22MB!) and a locked
keyboard after the standard left button press.

Anyway, I won't write anything like this.  I won't push anyone else
either.  If someone does this, I wish it will be 1.3 compatible (1.2
would be even better of course) meaning some configinfo (like CPU
type) must be possible to hardcode when generating the bootblock.
I don't intend to get me 2.0 ROMs just to be able to boot faster...
ADOS is dead anyway :-)  I haven't done anything apart from disk
maintenence and booting NetBSD in ADOS for at least a year.  It's a
nice boot monitor, though :-)

Niklas